Tuesday, December 1, 2009

to blog or not to blog

That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...or to take up a keyboard, and by so opposing, divulge them. I've been casting around other people's blogs for a while now, and I've seen some pretty heavy stuff. And by "heavy" I mean very weighty, very personal matters. Stuff that you'd ordinarily think somebody would want to keep quiet. I stumbled upon this one blog once that dealt with nothing but the writer's sex life. The post I read was a meticulous 2,000-word treatise on the events leading up to her and her boyfriend's first attempt at anal sex. I'm not sure what good that kind of post does anybody, but that's not what I'm here to talk about. Being a blogger is kind of like being the editor of the coolest, wackiest newspaper ever written. It's all about YOU. It's anything you want. You, and you alone, decide what gets put onto the front page. Complete control over the whole process, that's what you've got: topic, writing, tone, voice, stance, revision, publishing, the works. The final slash-and-burn is the kicker. That's where you sit back, look at what you've written, and think to yourself, "Okay, is this worth putting up?" A few bloggers are shallow and uninteresting, writing without depth or merit. A large number of bloggers, on the other hand, are honest. They pour out their hearts and souls onto the web page. They speak on highly personal issues, things near and dear to their hearts, private matters that they perhaps would never have dared to bare in person. Sometimes this writing is brutally honest and gruesomely detailed. Oftentimes, even if the subject matter is not something a reader would ordinarily find interesting, the way in which its presented can win an audience over...if the blogger tells the truth and write from the heart. Quite often, however, the subject matter is both relevant and truthful. The result is something incredible: something deep, something resonant, something emotionally powerful. Reading these blog posts (about a dear friend who passed away, or a violent crime that the writer was a victim of, or even a beloved place or time) is cathartic. We feel transported to that place, introduced to that person, victimized by that crime. We feel like a bridge has been built between our soul and the writer's. Reading becomes a joining of hands, a meeting of minds. I have experienced this amazing sensation several times on the blogsphere, and never expected to. That, friends, is perhaps what this whole blogging gig is about. But I'll skip the commercial. This is not the point of this post. The point is this: there's a difference between being honest and truthful when writing, and using some...discretion. Not everything one does is newsworthy, no matter how exciting one's life may be. At some point, a blogger must draw the line at even the most brutal or hilarious details of his or her existence. But where should that line be drawn? At what point does a blogger cease being honest and truthful and is instead merely airing his dirty laundry in public? Being honest, truthful, open, or gut-wrenchingly detailed in your writing (or just writing about personal matters) is one thing. Using the blogsphere as a confessional is another. This is the crux of my argument. Be honest, sure. Be truthful, yes. Be gritty, even. But don't write about things that happened to you because you feel as if you'd be hiding the truth otherwise. Don't bare your soul just because you feel you need to be totally, unreservedly honest. Don't include all the gory details just for the audience's information. If you are doing it, make sure you're doing it for YOU. You're the editor, remember? There's two things that very recently happened to me that I was going to blog about. I was going to blog about them enthusiastically, in fact. But I'm not going to now. I can't write about the first thing because I might get somebody else in trouble. I can't write about the second because...well, it's a highly embarrassing, personal matter, and I think I'd rather keep it private. I'm entitled to a little privacy, after all. Be wary that you don't fall into the same trap. Write about what you want to write about, but don't compromise your privacy. Goodness knows it's hard enough to hold on to any privacy in this day and age anyway. Write by all means, just ensure that you're not doing it to assuage your insecurities. Do it to give yourself wings.

12 comments:

Carrie said...

I think you make a very good point here. There has to be some balance between "brutal honesty" and "privacy." Some things are just not meant for the public eye.

I'm often terrified that I'm talking way too much about my relationship on my blog. But right now, that's encompassing so much of my being. I try to find a balance, and usually I do so by focusing more on the ideas of hope and love (tragically dying ideals, in my opinion) through my perspective than on Kyle and I as people. Maybe I succeed, and maybe not. But I think that by sharing the human experience of love (all love, not just romantic...compassion as well), maybe it will restore it's popularity in this downward spiraling world. :/

You, sir, do a fine job of preserving the face of your blog. Your posts always feel real and blunt, but never reveal so many gory details that I'm tempted to run away.

Blogging is also such a great escape. I can tell so much to my readers that I cannot to my friends and family in person. By putting it in writing, I know I can be sure to get my meaning exactly right. I'm also much more daring here than in real life. Plus, you know, it's wonderful to find so many kindred spirits from so many vast places. ;)

Anyhoo, I guess the point of all that rambling was that this is a great post you've got here. Kudos, my friend, kudos.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

This is very interesting because I just spent the last 45 minutes, while eating my tuna melt (personal information!) mulling over the whole blogging thing.

I've dediced to be a successful blogger, one must look at the medium and understand its format. What does it intend to do, what does it not intend to do? As you also have.

I suppose I tend to evaluate everything through the lens of a business enterprise- what does the market place command? Where is the hole? How can I fill it? Do I want to fill it? And so forth.

As far as being personal. I am deeply private. There's business associates I've known for over seven years who do not know anything about me on a personal level, and even when they've outright asked, I have flatly told them that I "don't talk about that."

Even last night, I called up Chloe because, she's really my friend now and I decided I needed to tell her something personal about me; as if withholding this piece of information was akin to lying, and I can't stand a liar. So, I told her.

Real, intimate, personal information is reserved for those people who I decide to let in. (And I just ended my sentence with a preposition.) I don't decide to let many people get truly close to me. People describe me as "gracious" but "aloof".

Lastly, as a professional in the business world, it is NEVER proper to start throwing out personl information about yourself to your employees or (gasp) clients. Never, ever, never.

When one of my employees or clients starts telling me about divorces, and cheating girlfriends and owing back child support and hating their mother, I think, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! God, shut up.

And I just came over here to tell you:

When I move you move
(just like that?)
When I move you move
(just like that?)
Hell ya, hey D.J., bring that back!

Hahahahaha.

A.T. Post said...

Carrie: Thank you very much! Such wonderful compliments you give.

And no worries. You're not revealing too much about that relationship of yours. It's important to you and you ought to blog about what's important. You describe your feelings so elegantly, simply, and wonderfully that the rest of us can't help but feel bowled over and buoyed up (not to mention jealous).

True. Blogging's the great escape. Writing in general is. I'm an escapist myself. Maybe that's why I'm doing (or trying to do) magazine articles, short stories, blog posts and a novel series (and soon, a comic book) simultaneously. I gotta get outta this downward world...thanks for having an upward world of your own I can tune into.

EC: No, no. I wanna hear about tuna melts. I don't care if you're eating one in an illegally-owned storeroom, which you owe two months' back rent on, that is filled with duffel bags of cocaine entrusted to you by a coworker, who in the middle of a nasty divorce due to that month she spent at a lesbian nudist colony, I WANNA HEAR ABOUT TUNA MELTS.

Marshall McLuhan was one guy that my college communication professors were all in love with. "The medium is the message," was his catch phrase. As you adroitly pointed out: to blog successfully, one must understand the medium and its purpose. You could do worse by going at it from a business angle. Look at Ebenezer Scrooge: he ran his life like an enterprise and, while he may not have been the happiest joe on the block, he was still ROLLIN' in dough. What niches are there? What hasn't been done? How do I go about filling them, and have I filled them properly?

(Wow, that sounds like me trying to figure out if I've filled up all the holes my dog dug in the backyard.)

My mother is deeply private, too. The phrase "using a blog as a confessional" is actually borrowed from her, verbatim. She would NEVER reveal personal details in person, let alone the Internet. As she's fond of saying, once it's on the Internet, it's gone. It can never be retrieved. Somebody out there will always know about it. She often tells me that I'm incredibly open on this blog of mine, more open, perhaps, than I should be.
I suppose there's worse things to be; but as I've noted, the bloggers who resonate the most with their audience are the ones who tell the unvarnished truth...

SAME HERE. I identify with your phone call to Chloe (that's so neat that you're talking on the phone now...friends through the blogsphere!). One part of me says, "Don't talk about that, it's embarrassing." The other part of me whines, "Oh, but if I don't, I'll be a liar! I'll be less than honest! I'll be withholding information! People will get this false impression of me!"

"Gracious" but "aloof." That's going on your tombstone. Mine'll probably be something like "ostentatious" but "good for a chortle."

Oh, darn. No personal information to employees? I had this fantasy of myself and my crack team of air pirates, my outlaw gang and I, flying the airways and delivering the cargo, come what may, hell or high water. We'd all be in on the intimate details of each other's lives, like that bunch from Joss Whedon's TV show "Firefly." Oh well. Guess I was whistlin' Dixie.

You know, I had JUST managed to get Luda's dratted refrain out of my head. Thanks a bunch, EC. (Heh heh.)

Entrepreneur Chick said...

Well, the whole time I was glamping I heard:

Oh My Momma (Momma)
On My Hood (Hood)
I Look Fly (Yeah)
I Look Good (Good)
Touch My Swag (Swag)
Wish You Could (Could)
I Look Fly (Yeah)
I Look Good (Good)

Doing dishes, unpacking my sleeping bag, searching for a flashlight, wondering if I really had to get up and pee that bad...Oh, my Momma...

Now try to get Chamillionaire's song outta yo head, I dare you.

"Reading becomes a joining of hands, a meeting of minds. I have experienced this amazing sensation several times on the blogsphere, and never expected to."

Me too. Same thing. This is what I love about life- wonderful things happen that you have no idea about. They happen all the time.

Love it.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I love love love the last line of this post. My thesis advisor once said "When a good poem ends, it should feel like this," and then he took a book and closed it shut so it made a good thumping sound. That's what that last line is.

I decided to blog because I'm a writer. What I tend to write about, as you know, is spiritual stuff, reflective stuff, and it sort of takes on a life of its own, and I follow it where it leads me.

I really felt like I was going out on a limb with my last three posts, because of their subject matter and length. But it wanted and needed to be written. The rape story was one I've told a few people over the years, and I'd never really thought of writing about it, but as soon as I thought of it in relation to those posts, I knew it needed to be a part of it. For me, and for the subject matter. But it was not an easy decision to make, not an easy thing to write, and I waffled about it for a while.

In the final analysis, I'm glad I did it, but it's not the kind of weighty controversial disturbing thing I want to be writing about as a rule. It's like hot peppers - you don't want to use too much too often.

A.T. Post said...

Mmmm...a good thumping sound. I hope that's what people hear when they finish reading MY stuff...trouble is, I'm not a poet. That sounds like an interesting lot of professors you had there.

Yep, that was a limb you were out on, but unlike anal sex, yours actually led somewhere worthwhile. It must've been incredibly nerve-wracking to put yourself out there, but you did it, and you conducted yourself masterfully, wrote something rather thought-provoking, and enriched a few people's lives. I'm glad you waffled in that direction.

Hey...I'll call it Polly's Hot Peppers Rule. She who bloggeth too often about personal things getteth burned.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

I have thought about this post, by the way, several times since you wrote.

Last night, I had the opportunity to read about a blogger's wet dream. Uh, okay... Now I see more clearly what you meant about the anal sex.

I mean, I was a little curious, not having those kind of parts to know exactly how those things operate, but I was left asking the same question you did, "Do we really need to know that?"

Here is my whole blogging conclusion.

You know how some people leave the house wearing stripes and plaids and shoes from Payless with no makeup? Oh my gosh! Right?

Blogging. Same deal.

Some people think that looks spiffy good and some people think anal sex and wet dreams are just hunnky dory. (To write about.)

It's still wonderful though, even if you like plaids and stripes and no makeup, that there is a medium that one can express themselves.

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

EC - You should see what people wear in Taos! This is the dirty hippie/eccentric artist capitol of the world.

A.T. Post said...

Ah, it'll be easy for me to forget that one...I've never heard it. Never got into Chamillionaire.

Yeah, jeez. That's an off-color topic. (But if you wanted to know how that stuff works there's books in the library. I'm afraid I can't help you; I always wake up before the good part anyway.) A wet dream is kind of personal to reveal on the web.

See, this bugs me. Everybody wants to be the next James Joyce or something. They want to be "good writers," and they think in order to be a good writer you have to be "edgy" and "personal" and reveal all those intimate, private, often disgusting details in their writing. Posers.

Sounds like me! My Mr. Different outfit was a black top hat and a camouflage jacket (and no make-up). But I (now) know where to draw the line. Weird sex acts and bodily functions are right out.

Pollinatrix: Speakest thou the truth? I'd have sworn the dirty hippie/eccentric artist capital of the world was Telluride, Colorado, or perhaps still San Francisco. They have a large DH/EA demographic represented there?

Entrepreneur Chick said...

What's DH/EA?

AND, as a woman who's actually sitting here in a maroon "Fighting Farmers" sweat shirt with albeit, matching "Fighting Farmers" grey sweat pants, absolutely not one drop of makeup and dirty hair- I'd say I have no room to talk. But I would say I won't leave the house like this because I am hopelessly a Southern Woman, and we just don't do that.

Okay, (writers) like comedians- you know how some are just gross and not funny?

Writers can be the very same way. You're just pretending to be edgy and all that because you think that's what's "in" and that's what the market would require. And, on some level, you'd be right.

But people are not as stupid as you think they are. Insincerity can be spotted a two year old.

I love Telluride but Aspen a little better. But not as much as Boulder. Boulder's mah city. But not as much as Nederland, which is a little town up in the mountains from Boulder that runs along a stream and doofy tourists are always falling in and getting hurt or dead.

Hmm. Something of great rock importance was recorded in Nederland and it's not coming to me now.

Oh, and this woman had a dead guy in her garage for awhile. That was cool.

I'm off to Google "Nederland" CO. Anyway, Tony is going to a Dallas Stars game and I don't have anything to do. (Unless I wash my hair and put on some makeup. Meh.)

Entrepreneur Chick said...

God, how rude of me. After I Google Nederland, I am also going to read your latest posts, which I would do even if I had something do to.

A.T. Post said...

Southern women don't NEED no excuse to sit around in Fighting Farmers sweats with dirty hair. Besides, it's awesome. And it's Saturday.

Exactly. Gross, not funny. And because it's considered "in." Blargh.

Never got to Aspen. I thought Boulder was okay. Never got along much with Colorado in general, though, for the DH/EA (Dirty Hippie/Eccentric Artist) portion of the populace.

Nederland, on the other hand; besides sounding like the Swedish pronunciation of "Neverland," it sounds fun for the hijinks that the doofy tourists get up to. (Thank you for using the word "doofy!" I thought my family and I were the only ones...so refreshing!) Dead guys in garages is SO last year...speaking of being "edgy"...

Aw, you flatter me. I hope you enjoy them.